We are currently seeking a skilled and motivated Product Development Engineer to join our team. Third Dimension are World leading manufacturers of hand-held GapGun® and automated Vectro®, non-contact precision feature measurement tools. We design and sell non-contact, laser profile measurement systems for gap and flush, radius, edge breaks, seals and more. Established in 1995, we have a long and reputable track record of supplying product to the largest names in aerospace, automotive and energy sectors worldwide.
As a Product Development Engineer, reporting to the Chief Engineer, you will play a critical role in the system level product design, development, and application of our non-contact metrology devices. We are seeking a talented and experienced System-Level Product Development Engineer to join our team. The ideal candidate will possess a strong multidisciplinary skill set and be familiar with working on industrial embedded devices. It is highly desirable for the candidate to be well-versed in modern manufacturing requirements, with a solid understanding of micron-level precision in design and process control. This role will involve developing, and validating innovative solutions for clients in the aerospace, automotive, and other digital manufacturing environments.
We offer a competitive salary, hybrid working (Filton, Bristol, UK), and a range of benefits including health insurance, health cash plan, death in service, and of course matched pension contributions.
The company values are to keep things simple, work together, and achieve excellence. Join us in realising our vision to lead dimensional metrology innovation, transforming the manufacturing industry.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop and refine our non-contact metrology devices, ensuring they meet project specifications and application requirements.
- Participate in all stages of the product development lifecycle, from concept generation to manufacturing and commercialisation.
- Utilise multidisciplinary skills to overcome challenges across various engineering disciplines.
- Design and optimise robust and efficient embedded systems for our devices, integrating hardware and software components.
- Conduct comprehensive testing and system level validation, ensuring compliance with specifications and industry standards for quality and reliability. This will include coordination of external testing.
- Stay up to date on industry trends and advancements in system-level product development, metrology devices, and modern manufacturing techniques relevant to our target markets.
- Maintain accurate documentation, including design specifications, test plans, and reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or a related field. Advanced degree preferred.
- 5+ years of relevant experience as a product development engineer.
- Proficiency in working with embedded devices & supporting digital architectures.
- Familiarity with the demands of non-contact optical metrology devices in the aerospace, automotive, and other digital manufacturing markets.
- Knowledge of modern manufacturing requirements, with an emphasis on industry-standard tolerances and process controls.
- Strong understanding of micron-level precision and its relevance in design and process control.
- Ability to analyse and solve complex problems with creative and practical solutions.
- Experience in testing and validation, ensuring adherence to specifications and industry standards.
- Excellent communication skills for effective collaboration with cross-functional teams.
- Detail-oriented mindset and commitment to producing high-quality work.
- Continuous learning mindset to stay updated on industry advancements and apply relevant technologies and methodologies.